View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I think I've learned that over-analyzing foods... will drive you crazy. It did/does for me. I think it's important to pay attention, know the company you're buying from, where it's sourced, etc. But really, I'd probably just pick a decent food from what you consider a reputable source...

I think some of our "fears" (mine included) are overblown. I'm guilty of it. I always talk about Diamond for example, how I wouldn't touch it, etc. A lot of us are now TERRIFIED of Diamond produced foods. But really? our dogs probably have a one in a million chance of anything happening to them. They probably have a higher chance of dying from a snake bite, or something crazy, then dying because of eating pet food. And the only reason I know about all this stuff is because of pet forums. If I was just a regular ole' owner, I wouldn't even think twice about this stuff, and I'm sure Jackson would be absolutely fine with whatever I chose to eat. I know lots of dogs who eat TOTW and are doing great.

But of course, we want the best for our dogs. I know I do. I pay attention to every little thing, lol. I'm kind of anal about it actually. I'm not saying to go out and buy the prettiest bag of Beneful. Because I'm sure as hell not, lol.

I do believe in good QC, and think being informed is important. Obviously. Or else I wouldn't research so much.

But I just think that other things play so much more into a dog's life and health, like genetics, neutering/spaying, over-vaccination, etc. I do think diet plays a part - I know I notice little things between different brands.

But I think your dog will most likely be fine on Merrick or Acana. Jackson always did very well on Acana, actually, it's probably the best he ever did on a food. He ate it for the longest period of time... he's been eating Fromm since late Sept. and even though I LOVE them as a company, etc, I just am never happy with his poop on it, and he's been lookin' a little chubbier (to me... most would say he's still skinny, lol), so we're going back on grain-free (Now FRESH Adult Grain-Free) and his poops already improved within the last 7 days.... but at this point, I wouldn't be opposed to feeding Royal Canin, etc, which I used to be.... dead-set against. lol. I was looking too much into ingredients and ingredients only. But I've learned so much more about the dog food industry since then and know that's not really the most important thing.

Okay, long jumbled post... LOL, if I had to choose.. I'd def. pick Acana over Merrick.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!